Comcast messing with VoIP?

Monday, October 8, 2007

Where there's smoke, is there fire?

It's a story that won't go away and the complaints are getting louder.

Andy Abramson:

I'm not at all surprised to read that one of the nation's largest cable operators is getting accused of packet shaping. Nor am I surprised that their support folks are being mum on the subject.

It seems thought some unhappy Comcast customers are happy to write about their issues which directly impact the ability to use real time apps like video conferencing and VoIP rather well.


Earlier, Light Reading reported on the issues too. “We’re not blocking access to any application, and we don’t throttle any traffic,” said Charlie Douglas, a Comcast spokesman. Note that Douglas didn’t explicitly deny the use of deep packet inspection or traffic shaping products. ”Comcast has a responsibility to manage our network to ensure our customers have the best service, and we use available technologies to do so.”

Their marketing tends to center around faster speeds than DSL, but the practice of download caps and traffic shaping could neutralize that advantage for real customers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Comcast High Speed Internet, Comcast HDTV & Vonage VOIP phone service. Over the course of the last month or so, when I'm talking to someone on the phone, they will randomly stop hearing my voice. I can still hear them clearly, but they can't hear me. Sometimes it will clear up & sometimes I have to hang up & use my cellphone to call them, because they can't hear me at all. Comcast says the signal strength to my house is good, but my in house strength is low. I'm in the process of upgrading my in house cables & removing as many splitters as possible to see if that's the problem. Could there be anything else that is causing this one way voice drop? Thanks for your help.

Interactive Voice Response (IVR) said...

Thanks for this publish. I find it hard to track down good answers out there when it comes to this subject matter. Thanks for the review!

Toll Free Numbers said...

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.